Tools For Medical Personnel
At the Sacramento Opioid Coalition, we know that engaging our medical community is one of the best ways to increase opioid prevention and increase the use of early intervention. Here, we have compiled a list of tools and information that will best help medical personnel prepare and reduce Opioid Overdoses. Please also see our Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) Programs & Access page.
CURES 2.0 (Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System) is a database of Schedule II, III and IV controlled substance prescriptions dispensed in California . It is mandatory to use in in California!
Link to CURES 2.0 Fact Sheet
Register for CURES here!
Sierra Sacramento Medical Valley Society created a Primary Care Guidelines Flowchart to aid providers in treating chronic non-cancer pain.
Prescribers can help avoid Opioid Use Disorder before it starts by informing patients of their full range of options when it comes to pain management. This PSA flyer can aid in starting that discussion.
MAT Handout, SCOC
Medication Assisted Treatment, Partnership for Drug Free Kids
Buprenorphine and the Opioid Crisis 2018, Congressional Research Service
Medications for Addiction Treatment, Shatterproof
How Do Medications Treat Opioid Use Disorder? Department of Human and Health Services
Sacramento Urban Health Institute 2019 Fact Sheet
Myths About MAT, The National Council
MAT Pocket Guide, SAMHSA
California MAT Expansion Project, Department of Health Care Services
Links to More Tools for Prescribers
- CDC: Improve Opioid Prescribing
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Improving Opioid Prescribing
- Assessment of Racial/Ethnic and Income Disparities in the Prescription of Opioids and other controlled medications in California
- The ASAM National Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: 2020 Focused Update, American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Safe Opioid Prescribing, HHS
- SAMHSA Guidelines for Treatment of Pregnant and Parenting Women with OUD, SAMHSA
- MHSA Information for Prescribers, SAMHSA
- Screening for Substance Use in the Pain Management Setting, NIDA
- Opioid Crisis and Pain Management, NIDA
- Substance and Addiction Prevention Branch – Overdose Prevention Initiative, California Department of Public Health
- Executive Summary For Healthcare and Addiction Professionals, Policymakers, Patients, and Families- MEDICATIONS FOR OPIOID USE DISORDER, SAMHSA